Archive for Month: January 2020
Banbury Young Musician – Sat 1st Feb 2020
- Juniors start at 4:00pm.
- Intermediate and Seniors at 6:45
Finalists for the Competition
Order of the Programme
Juniors Competitors 4.00pm Start
Beginners Piano – for the Budd Trophy
- Levi Varghese -Filr Elise by Beethoven
- Sophie bennett – Les Elephants qui dansent by Janet Vogt
Junior Brass – for the Brooks Trophy
- Robin Ashe – Lucky to be me from ‘On the Town’ by Leonard Bernstein Junior Singing – for the Fred Timms Trophy Eva Davies -1 Dreamed a Dream by Claude-Michel Schonberg Noel Liju – Kinderwacht by Robert Schumann
- Ava Lea-James – When I am Older by Kristen Anderson-Lopez & Robert Lopez
Junior Piano – for the Tony Rye Memorial Trophy
- Megan Carey – The Blue Danube by Johann Strauss
- Romilly Mason – Arabesque Op 4 No 6 by Genary Karganov
- Freddie Charles – Arabesque by Burgmiiller
Junior Duets – for the Inner Wheel Trophy
- Rose and Owen Anderson – Somewhere Only We Know by Oxley, Chaplin and Hughes
Junior Woodwind – for the Pearson-Smith Trophy
- Evie Brunham – When Paddy Met Bella by Sarah Watts
Junior Strings – for the Cherwell Trophy
- Laura Scott-Brown – Intro and Polonaise from Arabesken by Carl Bohm Ava Lea-James – Chanson Triste by Peter Tchaikovsky
Intermediate/Seniors/Ensemble Competitors 6.45pm Start
Intermediate Woodwind – for the Worrall Trophy
- Samuel Ellis – Allegro from Sonata in C major by Francesco Barsanti
- Jessica Foxwell – Mazurka Op 16 by Franz Doppler
Intermediate Percussion – for the Laport Trophy
- Poppy Guy – Jump by Van Halen, Anthony and Roth
Intermediate Duets – for the Rotary Trophy
- Christina Wang and Suzanne Wu – March Militaire by Franz Schubert
- Emily Russell and Chloe Hurworth – Andante from Concerto for Two Mandolins by
- Antonio Vivaldi
- Jessica and Sebastian Foxwell – Inspector Gadget Theme by Saban and Levy
Intermediate Singing – for the Banbury House Hotel Trophy
- Hana Benlalam – Bring Him Home by Claude-Michel Schonberg
- Izzy Kenny -1 Feel Pretty from ‘West Side Story’ by Leonard Bernstein
- Lily Butler – Don’t Rain On My Parade from ‘Funny Girl’ by Bob Merrill and Jule Styne
Intermediate Strings – for the Anthistle Trophy
- Jasmine Skowronski – Hungarian Dance by Johannes Brahms
- Lillianna Webb – Allegro from Concerto in A minor by Antonio Vivaldi
- Samya Salha – Salut d’ Amour by Edward Elgar
Intermediate Brass – for the Featherstone House Trophy
- Hana Benlaham – Rondo from Horn Concerto by Mozart
- Sebastian Foxwell – Fantaisie Caprice by Gabriel Pares
Intermediate Guitar – for the Chitzy Trophy
- Samuel Cavanagh – Promise by Yvonne Bloor
Intermediate Piano – for the Ena Grubb Trophy
- Jessica Foxwell – Deux Arabesques by Claude Debussy
- Diego Sunga – Elegie by Rachmaninoff
- Sebastian Foxwell – The Man I Love by George Gershwin
Ensembles – for the Hoods Trophy
- Village Violin School – Lord of the Rings Medley by Howard Shaw Kayt Griffin Recorder Ensemble – Little Brown Jug American trad. Arr Mike Prescott Tudor Hall School String Quartet – Kanon und Gigue by Johann Pachelbel Stowe School Woodwind Ensemble – Trio in F major by Georg Telemann Tudor Hall School Trio – Flying Free by Don Besig
Senior Brass – for the Jeremy Trophy
- Jack Phillips – Trumpet Concerto Movement 1 by Haydn
Senior Duets – for the Herrington Salver
- Shona Wilby and Iris Kirk – Found Tonight by Hamilton and Hansen
Senior Strings – for the Randolph Webb Trophy
- Grace Sale – Allegro Appassionato by Camille Saint-Saens
Senior Piano – for the Banbury Charities Trophy
- Fedora Li – Allemande from Suite No 5 by Johann Sebastian Bach
- Venetia Moir – Poeme Erotique by Edvard Grieg
Senior Singing – for the Woodruff Trophy
- Alexa Thanni – Mama Who Bore Me by Duncan Sheik
- Jasmine Davis – Anywhere But Here by Jason Robert Brown
- Arthur Kemp – If I Loved You from ‘Carousel’ by Rogers and Hammerstein
Senior Percussion – for the Anker Trophy
- Fedora Li – Black and White Rag by George Botsford
- Teddy Sealey – War Pigs by Iommi, Osbourne, Butler and Ward
Banbury Rotary Young Chef – Jan 2020
As a result of totally unpredictable circumstances the Banbury Rotary Young Chef competition got off to a somewhat faltering start this year but entrants were unphased and when we eventually proceeded they demonstrated their skill and resilience by producing some superb dishes.
After an extremely hard adjudication by the judges Holly Brigden was crowned the 2020 winner with Isabella Ellis as runner-up. Both are students at Bloxham School.
Darts Evening – Jan 2020
Banbury Rotary put a lot of effort into raising money for, and helping out in, the community – but they also have a lot of fun!
January saw the Darts Event at Banbury Cricket Club.
Breathtaking action from President Surinder seeking to hit the board saw everyone run for cover!
In the final, Rotarian Helen Morris beat Harry Matthews winning the darts trophy for the second year in a row!
Thanks to Rotarian Nigel Yeadon for doing a brilliant job organising the event including a fish and chip supper for everyone!
Organ donations of another kind!
Thanks to all the kind people who donated funds that will go towards Katharine House Hospice and other Rotary Charities at the annual organ fundraising at Banbury supermarkets.
Thanks also to the supermarkets themselves for agreeing to the collections and to Rotarians – maybe especially Andrew Fairbairn and John Webb for their parts in making it all happen. (John Webb also brings along his own street organ in December to complement the Club’s.)
Funds raised this year amounted to the following:
This money will be distributed 75% to Katharine House Hospice, 15% to Banbury Air Cadets and 10% to other charities.